Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Little Black Dress



All women need to have at least one in their closet. We all dread those little white smudges that appear when we pull it on, but we love the way it makes us feel. Simple, classic, timeless, chic...all words that can be used to describe this wonderful piece of clothing: the Little Black Dress. 


Made INSANELY popular by the gorgeous Audrey Hepburn and Channel, the Little Black Dress knows no age and NEVER goes out of style! Seriously, you get one and you will wear it for years, especially if it's made to last! 

Recently, I purchased a LBD that I'm REALLY excited for because it'll carry me over from fall to winter, and even maybe early spring, and can be worn dressy or casual. 


From one of my favorite shops, Madewell, which is owned by JCrew, this wonderful black dress has little velvet polka dots, creating a tone-on-tone look with different fabrics. AND I LOVE IT! The dress is comfortable, form-fitting (but not in the tight way, in the "it hugs all the right places" way), AND IT HAS POCKETS! BIG PLUS!!! (I'm a huge sucker for any dress/skirt with pockets. Don't ask me why, I just love 'em)


For one of my school's formal dinner's I threw this outfit together. The nude heels and Mother of Pearl necklace definitely invoke that Audrey Hepburn spirit. Then there's my favorite statement piece of jewelry: my red sting-ray cuff. I got this baby last summer when I fell in love with it. I wear it ANY chance I get. It sparkles without having any jewels or glitter on it and catches everyone's eye. Oh and that white stuff on it? Yeah, that's the spine. It's GREAT! 






I LOVE my opera length Mother of Pearl necklace! I recommend getting the opera length to everyone, because it gives you so many options of how to wear it! I snagged this one for $22 at a consignment shop with matching earrings (not shown). Seriously, I wear it all the time, not just for fancy-shmancy events. Doubled up, single strand, choker, bracelet, you name the style, I've probably worn it like that. I wear it casually, for work, for nicer events. Literally. All. The. TIME. I also like the way the Mother of Pearl looks, with it's slight opacity and it's shimmer, it really adds to the necklace and gives it that extra "unf". 

Next up: my new Lily and Laura bracelets. Not only are the glass bead bracelets beautiful, they also promote fair trade in Nepal, so you're helping out a good cause! They really look good stacked with anything. Here, I have them on with a David Yurman bracelet my parents gave me as a birthday present, but I also layer them with my watch, other bracelets, etc.



This is just one of MANY ways you can wear a LBD. Seriously, I encourage you to go out and invest in one that you really like if you haven't already. They're always a great go-to! Especially for a date.... ;)

That's all for now, folks! See you soon!

Love,
-The Southern Hippie











No comments:

Post a Comment